Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Friday 12 April 2013

12th April '13



Karen and Jessie as we are leaving our mooring.



Helen and Lloyd with Dom and Lexi at the bridge out of the marina.


Now we're not saying it's a long time since the sides of the canal have been cleared, but at Burton there were lots of the remains of branches left in the fence, because they were so ingrown! It was quite an odd sight actually!


Another Nellie we passed at Branston and I couldn't resist it! Shall be looking out for other family names.


This is Bagnall Lock at Alrewas (next to the Indian!) and as you can see it's taken quite a battering over time - nothing to do with me I assure you.


somewhere between 8 and 9 hours cruising and we are approaching Streethay Wharf (the A38 is just visible on the far side of the boats and trees) which is about 30minutes drive away. We aren't in this for the speed. It's nice to see a road occasionally just so we can feel superior.


This somewhat insignificant little plaque commemorates the place between the junctions at Fradley and Fazeley where the canal met - they dug it from both ends and met at Whittington - more of less in the right place. The Coventry meanders slowly through the countryside with no locks and lots of bridges and bends and a not insignificant number of pubs.


Opposite our hatch the new neighbours are putting the finishing touches to their home, ready for the new offspring.

As you can see not only did I find the cable, but for a change the computer is working well enough for me to download pictures so I was on a bit of a roll.

We have had a good day today, the weather has been pretty much April, a couple of light showers and intermittent sun, but overall getting warmer. We got through Fradley's locks with ease, I did everything right and even John complimented me on my boat handling. Praise indeed!

There were a couple of volunteers on the locks which helped speed things up somewhat and to top it all, having run out of one canister of gas this morning, someone turned up selling gas and coal and loaded in on the boat while I was in a lock. Great service.

We are now at Hoplas, which has two pubs but not a shop to get a paper in the morning. Sign of the times. Hopefully we can find a shop at Fazeley, which is less than 2 miles away, and then we will be able to turn left towards Hawkesbury Junction and the Oxford Canal. Some of you may remember that last year we came this way but turned right at Fazeley towards Birmingham.

I was stunned yesterday, I put both the previous posts on in the evening and by the time I put the second one on, there had already been 2 people reading the first one. It really makes me feel good to realise that people are reading this, although I'd still do it for myself even if no-one else did read it.

After we'd moored it poured with rain, but that's passed over now, and hopefully it will be fine tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment