Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Thursday 14 June 2012

13th June '12


Writing this in retrospect as we were overcome with events yesterday, and now it looks as if I may not be able to connect to the internet so it could be even later appearing on the blog.

Wednesday was a day of coincidences. We had a pretty quiet day with only a couple of locks and not much distance travelled. On the second lock, John was up chatting to the chap doing the locks as per usual and I was waiting patiently on the boat, as we left the lock John commented on the chap being from the south west. I looked over at the woman starting to move the boat out and discovered it was Shirley Crandon who used to work alongside me at NCMA and I hadn’t seen her for about 10 years. I don’t know who was more surprised, we exchanged greetings and both went on our merry way!

Then we arrive at Stone, merely to get some groceries and then we were going to be off to get through the locks and moor at the far side. Going up to the town off the canal with our trusty shopping trolley, we greet another couple also with trolley and obviously heading back to a boat. They stop us and tell us that if we go to the Co-op and spend over £25 they will deliver it to the boat!!! Result, the couple say that if we would like to we could stop into their boat on the way back and have a drink. So shopping was duly got and left at Co-op for them to deliver (free of charge I might add) and we went and met Viv and David properly and had a couple of whiskeys. During our chatting we discovered that their son had sung at Rochester Cathedral with Barry Ferguson who had been my choir-master in Shaftesbury! Anyway we invite them back for drinks with us that evening and so never move from Stone for the rest of the day!

I have started a new piece of lace but once again find the instructions very confusing. I need to sit down (sans the whiskey) and work it out for myself again I think. I am also adding bits to the crocheted bed-cover that doesn’t quite fit now that we have had the bed altered!

Tomorrow we plan to get through Stone and then decide exactly where we are going once we have passed Stoke. The weather forecast isn’t good but it’s been wrong most of the time so far, so we don’t know what to believe.


Sure that I've posted this photo before but still wanted to add it to show that we passed the halfway mark of the Trent and Mersey canal.


No comments:

Post a Comment