Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Saturday 22 September 2012

22nd Sept. '12

There was no internet connection last night so I'm doing two days in one here.

We have travelled into and out of Wales and are currently back in England in between Ellesmere and Crick. Tomorrow, we enter the final bit of the Llangollen and will be in Wales! After travelling almost entirely in a drizzle yesterday, we have had lovely sunshine today. Very warm in the sunshine but still cool in the shade, but still a vast improvement - I don't think it's here to stay though.


Yesterday we had the Grindley Brook flight to go up - and this is what I mean about the amount of water run-off at the base of the locks - it really is quite disconcerting and once more I failed miserably and had to ask John to help me get into the second lock - I just couldn't bring the boat around. Getting the bow right was possible if not a bit tricky, but then the stern just swings around in the flow and I'm totally unable to get it back on course. I blame my frozen shoulder as I just don't have enough strength to get the tiller around. Heaven only knows what I shall blame in 6 months time when that is all finished....


The boats behind me in the pound...


The boats alongside me. I mentioned that 3 go up and 3 go down and this is what happens at the bottom of the staircase and the top of the flight - the 3 coming down meet the 3 coming up and you can't go up until the last of the 3 has come down. It was bedlam but I got there without hitting anyone - I was the first to go up.


Once in the staircase this it the sight you are greeted with! I managed to upset the lock-keeper by moaning about the run-off at the bottom of the locks and was told in no uncertain terms that it was only because of the flow of water that the canal survived. I knew this (having read the book) but still felt that they could have designed the locks slightly differently so that it was easier to get in them! Opps. Best not mention that again....

We moored up on an embankment near somewhere called Hampton Bank, just back in Shropshire after the previous mile that had been in Wales! There was a rather sad wooden post showing the border but the photo didn't come out. The mooring was great as there were no other boats around and we were able to just let Paddy off the lead and he really enjoyed having a good run up and down the towpath for a change. He really can smile when he's happy.

We set off in good time this morning, despite me not wanting to wake up (I'd lost my swimming kit in my dream and was very worried about it - doesn't sound like me - I HATE swimming) ANYWAY, we set off in good time as I said and the sun was shining and all was beautiful and we had a day without any locks - hurray!


We saw this from afar and it wasn't until we got really close that we realised that it was a carving up on top of a telephone pole! Rather beautifully done we thought and who put it there we wondered?


An unexpectedly straight stretch - note the appalling towpath! Maintenance isn't big around here.


After a straight stretch where we didn't see anyone, there's suddenly a bridge, moored boats and boats coming towards you - this is typical of life along the canal. After getting through this chaos, we once again didn't see a boat for ages. Why we ask ourselves (regularly) does this happen?


Looking out from the gloom of the canal with lots of overhanging trees, to the sunshine on Blake Mere, just before Ellesmere. We'd just come through a tunnel and it was hard to know when the tunnel ended with the gloom. There were moorings along here but they didn't tempt us. Possibly in the height of a very hot summer they'd be nice but not at present.


The entrance to the Ellesmere Arm where John wanted to go since there was a Tesco at the end and we needed supplies, and our weekly paper (for the TV listings). I wasn't at all sure about this as I couldn't see that there would be moorings on a lovely day like today plus it being a Saturday - how wrong can I be?


Turning at the end of Ellesmere Arm - it was a bit tight although supposed to be for a 70' boat.


Moorings all along the arm - proving John right and me wrong (there I have put it in writing) (but only once)

As well as getting our groceries John went off and found a fish and chip shop and we sat in the sun on the back of the boat enjoying our lunch. I think we increased trade for the shop as almost everyone who went past asked where we got them and commented on the lovely smell! Have to admit that they probably ruined my diet this week but it was worth it, mmmmmmm.


Looking over towards the Welsh hills - this is apparently what John expected the canal to be like and now he's happy! It has become far narrower and more open today and also a lot more winding.


Once past the Frankton Junction (which can take you down the Montgomery Canal if you feel so inclined) the bridges on the Llangollen are numbered from 1 again, with a W - not sure if this is to stand for Wales (although we're not there yet) or West. Whatever they are that's how they go from now on, we have come through 11W and are now moored below the New Marton Locks. There are only 2 and they look OK - not as scary as the previous ones on the canal, so fingers crossed all will be well in the morning. We are almost at Chirk and so tomorrow we will get to the end of the canal and go across the Pontywhatsit Aqueduct and then there'll be some pictures! Lets just hope that the signal (which has been erratic to say the least, I've lost Facebook for most of the day) is good enough to do the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment