Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Saturday 29 September 2012

29th Sept. '12

Yet again today we left in the dry, with sunshine threatening. It was however quite chilly with a distinct autumnal feel to the air. I have been having nightmares about leaving the Llangollen for the last 2 nights and it's good to know that we will be getting it over with today. My problem is getting out of the final lock and then turning onto the Shropshire since there's nowhere for John to get on until I've done the deed. I know I'm a wuss, but there you go - I am. I kept thinking that as long as a boat is coming into the lock from the junction all will be well since John can come down the ladder and leave the gates for the next boat.

We got through the locks in record time but no boat emerged at the bottom. I think that John was worried about what I might do to the boat because he suggested climbing down when the lock was empty and me going up to close the doors. This is what we did and all was well - we were back on the Shroppie in well under an hour from leaving our moorings. I know I must get braver but I just keep thinking that it's our home and nearly all our possessions are on it and if I do something really awful I wouldn't be able to live with myself - not sure John would either!!!!!!

Once on the Shroppie we stopped quickly at Nantwich for some basics and then travelled on to get to Audlem, as John was determined to get a drink in the Shropshire Fly - a canalside pub that is quite well known.

You remember the lock incident where a chap got hurt? one thing I forgot to say was that while we were all waiting there at the first lock a boat came through the queue, with a woman saying loudly, in one of THOSE voices, "We're not jumping the queue, we're just going to moor at the top of the lock and have lunch." They didn't wither away and die, despite everyone's best efforts who were waiting in the pouring rain, but did in fact moor on the off side of the lock and calmly have lunch watching everyone else go by. WELL, we were happily cruising along today and coming up to a bridge, there was a boat moored far too close to it, causing a mild obstruction and guess what? it was the same boat! Citrine, in case you ever come across it.

We have now come through the first 3 of the Audlem Locks and are moored outside the Shropshire Fly. I've been into the craft shop here and bought some more brass plaques for the back doors, charting our progress and later we are going for a drink! We had fish and chips again for lunch today at Nantwich. Can still get my jeans on but it's getting harder!

I heard today that the Trent and Mersey has had a bad breach near the top around Preston Brook somewhere. Apparently it's pretty bad and will be shut for months as the canal simply collapsed. Help! Luckily it's not where we're going but it IS where we were earlier in the year. Also apparently there was so much water here on Monday and Tuesday that the weirs on the locks couldn't cope and the tow-paths were flooded so they had to open paddles down the flight to allow excess water to run down through the system. We were obviously lucky to be in Llangollen, although it didn't seem like it at the time.

I have no idea if I'm going to be able to up-load pictures today - to be honest I can't believe I have internet here as it's very overhung with trees where we are and I've not had signal in much more open spaces than this but here goes.....


One of two bridges we have gone under today that have had sides missing - we didn't see it from the other direction of course - just as well!


The Shropshire Fly - I took this from the lock and we are moored in front of the building you can see in the background - which is the craft centre.

No - it's not easy but at least I got today's on - one day I will just post pictures that I haven't been able to over the last week!

The forecast is awful for tomorrow but I'm hoping we will at least get up the other 12 locks of this flight - if not there are 3 pubs in very easy reach! Oh dear.....

No comments:

Post a Comment