Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Sunday 28 April 2013

28th April '13

Really bad night for me - for some reason my back decided to play up and so I gave up just before 2 and went and took an anti-histamine. My thinking was that it knocked me out the other day so hopefully it would do the same. The time schedule seemed to go a bit awry, since at 4 I went to bed still wide awake, but freezing and eventually fell asleep, only to wake up at 7 for a wee, at 10 because Paddy wanted to go out (fair enough really) then as my beloved said he'd take him out I settled down and the phone rang. I love Darren, I really do, and it was wonderful to hear from him, and I'd love to hear more often, but did it HAVE to be just then? Sleep was gone but John said to stay in bed anyway, which I did until midday!

Got up to find a message from Allison suggesting we meet for lunch, so a mad panic to walk Paddy as John wanted to see the Thames and the first big lock we'd come to, then after bringing Paddy back John needed to go and find a hole in the wall. Anyway we eventually got to a really nice pub and had a fantastic Sunday roast with Allison and Dave. Isn't it ridiculous how you can discover so much in common with people who were strangers 24 hours before? We are going to catch them up in the morning as they are moored just next to the lock and then travel down with them. Eat your heart out Darren, we've found some other cruising buddies!

The locks are HUGE, you could fit an ocean going liner in them, well maybe not quite, but they are definitely the largest locks we have had to use. I'm not panicking, not even when Dave told us we have to get the stern of the boat in as the stream will catch it and pull you out otherwise, not even when hearing that we need the anchor on the back of the boat in case. Just wondering if the 2 litres of scotch we bought back from Cape Verde is going to be enough?

Last night was pretty noisy on top of everything else. Not only is the rail just over from us, but it is also the station, and trains seem to enjoy lingering there for a long time overnight, running their engines and giving the occasional hoot. Lovely. The Church bells stopped at midnight until 7 and I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the ringing between 10 and 10.30, felt like Oxford proper.


Here is said Church and bell tower. Very attractive.

Right, we are going to be away about 10ish in the morning to get down through Isis lock and onto the Thames, meet up with NB Free Spirit and off on our adventure. (where did I put the life-jacket?)

No comments:

Post a Comment