Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Sunday 28 May 2017

Sunday 28th May '17

The British weather is SO unpredictable. Today has just got better and better (presuming that you like hot that is.....if you like arctic conditions then I guess you'd be pretty disappointed).

I got out for my walk yesterday and although I didn't quite get my 10,000 steps in, I was pretty close. Paddy is loving it, I didn't have to put his lead on once and he made the most of the chance to run along the towpath.

The wind never let up at all yesterday and although it shifted direction it continued throughout the evening. We were very pleased we called it a day when we did. I walked up past King's Orchard marina and it is quite full now and looks better than it did a couple of years ago, doesn't tempt a move though. People moan sometimes about the security on Mercia.... they need to look no further than this marina to see how lucky we are. There are two gates leading straight off the towpath into the marina, close to the boats. In fact when I took Paddy for a walk past there this morning, it looks as if the dog owners just bring the dogs out, let them poo on the towpath and then take them back again. Disgusting.

Anyway we got underway at a reasonable time and headed down the Coventry with little excitement, apart from getting into the bushes on the off side when the boat refused to turn left after one bridge. John is going to check the weed hatch to see if it's a bit bunged up....must remind him about that.

We came across the Floating Market at Fazeley and we saw Barry on the Brew Boat. I complimented him on the Whiskey Profile kit we had from him and are still enjoying the fruits of. For those who don't know, it's a selection of small bottles of magic that turn cheap vodka into very acceptable Malt Whiskey. We've had ours a couple of years and there's still plenty left. Maybe we don't drink enough?

We got through the two locks at Glascote with the help of two volunteers who are having to use a jack to lift the top gate because someone cannoned into it and took it off it's hinges. They are supposed to be repairing it on Tuesday so anyone coming that way, check for stoppages.

We have moored at Amington, just outside Tamworth, before bridge 70. Much to my joy I've been able to hang the first lot of washing out for this year! Makes me very happy.

I've had a good walk down to the Tesco Express which is a few bridges away, which is good, but I'm afraid I had a Magnum on the way back, which is bad. I'm hoping to visit the Slimming World group at Polesworth tomorrow. It's only a mile or so away so we'll have a lazy day there, doing some walking and exploring. I need to go to the groups along the way for a while until I get the last few pounds off. I feel so much happier and healthier at this weight so it's worth working at it a bit.


The canal sides are lined with beautiful shows of yellow flags, So beautiful at the moment.  The air is laden with fairies (seed heads apparently is what grown ups call them, but they were always fairies when I was a child and that is what I think of when I see them). The water is covered in a film of them, it's really rather lovely.


You can just make out the shape of an old WW11 pill box. There are still lots of these along different stretches of canals, because they thought that an invading force would use the canals as a way of getting troops and munitions around the country.


This is our life, a beautiful stretch of empty canal in the sunlight. What more could anyone ask for?


Barry on the Brew Boat. If you see him, it's well worth looking around and chatting to what he can offer. Especially if you like whiskey! He thinks he's going to Fradley next but you can check where he is on his web site.

Now for a bit of peace and quiet before I roast us a chicken with all the trimmings. I love Sunday roast, even in this heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment