Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Wednesday 7 June 2017

Wednesday 7th June '17

Sorry for the absence of blog for the last few days.
Sunday my camera wasn't charged.
Monday it rained all day.
Tuesday my computer wasn't charged.
But here I am, a few photos taken and computer up and running.

In brief, on Sunday we finished the twists and turns of the summit and started to come downhill. The day wasn't promising and we dressed somewhat warmer than we had been doing but after getting through the first set we thought it seemed nice and why not do the next three spread out locks and get to Cropredy. We did one lock and were so wet and cold that we pulled in as soon as we saw some pilings and called it a day. John actually lit the fire as it was so miserable.

Monday we dressed for the wet and had a miserable journey into Banbury. We got a good mooring but the wind was terrible and John had to help me pull the boat in as I just couldn't manage it, despite wrapping the rope around a bollard and trying to haul in the slack, there just wasn't any slack to haul. I went out to the Slimming World group in the evening and lost another half pound. Slow but sure I suppose. We went and had a meal, I'm very careful about what I order but the salad sounded as if it was mainly iceberg (yuk, and double yuk) so I had the chips but actually couldn't eat them so my body is obviously getting used to healthier options.

Tuesday we stayed in Banbury and I walked around the shops a couple of times to get some steps marked up on the Fitbit and we walked out to the Tesco armed with trolley, bags and bungies, and did a good grocery shop. My arms stretched somewhat hauling the trolley home with the freezer bag attached on top, but I felt better for it. I also gave Paddy a couple of decent walks and did over 16,000 steps so was very happy with myself.

Wednesday (today) we left Banbury and the weather had improved somewhat, still dressed warmly as there was a terrific wind, but at least the sun was shining. We're now moored out in the country so Paddy has had a good run. I got two loads of washing out on the line and it's now all dry and put away. We're almost at Aynho Wharf. We've had a bit of rain just now but we're hoping to get Paddy out again in a minute.


We decided to leave Banbury at the same time as everyone else. There were three boats ahead of us for the lock and most of us wanted water as well. Here we're moored after filling the water tank, waiting for all the others ahead of us to get through the lock.



I should probably have used the zoom lens but this section has lots of swing bridges and luckily most of them are up. They have a chain hanging down so if you want to cross you pull it and the bridge comes down and then rights itself once you're off.




I guess it's progress but here's one of the bridges built for the farmers when the canal was dug, and behind it is the new bridge that carries the M40 across.



Paddy keeping careful lookout for anything untoward! It's a serious business being a boat dog.

The rain has stopped, Paddy is asking to go out so off we go, before the rain comes again.

No comments:

Post a Comment