Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Thursday 29 June 2017

Thursday 29th June '17

Well what can I say about last night??? Certainly one to remember. Warning to future guests, whatever happens I'm likely to share it on here, so be warned!

Our guests arrived on time, bringing red wine (Ali and Jason) and vodka (Ian). We got straight down to business with John bringing out the Whiskey Profile Kit, and Ian avidly reading the recipe leaflet. They started with sampling the ones we had, Ian approved of all of them and was incredulous that they were made from vodka and so the mixing began.....


John with a mixing jug and his little bag of tricks.


The audience were completely enraptured with the magicians performance.......


Guess who drank the most? Ian was well impressed and managed to drink the entire half bottle that had been made plus finishing off most of what we had. To be fair John helped a bit, but it transpired during the course of the evening that it was Ian's birthday the following day so it became a bit of a party. I would like to say at this point that I had a small (very small) glass and drank black decaf coffee for the rest of the evening so my halo was shining brightly. I did apparently let Jason and Ali down since they were hoping I could turn water into wine! I'm good, but not THAT good!

The evening culminated in Ian spilling Jason's red wine all down the front of his trousers and somehow after that it wasn't quite the same. I offered to wash them for him (after he'd gone back to the boat to change) (it wasn't one of THOSE sort of evenings) but he declined and insisted he'd get them to a launderette in Newbury.

We left the next morning about 10.00 but hadn't seen sight nor sign of Ian, although Ali waved at us from the window. I hope they liked the surprise we left for them....


.....I'd kept some happy birthday banners from my birthday and knew they'd come in useful. If you read this, we hope Ian enjoyed his day xxx

It was another day of locks and bridges at very regular intervals. 7 miles, 9 locks and 4 bridges in a bit over 5 hours!


A busy days chatting over locks for the lads.


When Jason had to stay on his boat in the second of the turf locks we encountered John found Lock Man to chat to instead. Ian and Ali had told us about this chap last night who just seemed to hang around Monkey Marsh Lock and help boaters.... and here he was. A bit like a yetti really, barely seen and not believed in by some and hard to photograph because they blend in with the environment.


Another lock, another conversation!!!!! Believe it or not TWICE during the day Jason was close to losing his boat because of not paying attention. Once the rope undid itself and the boat nearly careered into the front cill on the lock and the second time the gunnel got caught under the edge of the lock. I think he'll be pleased to see the back of us. Mind you I think John will miss the male bonding thing. There haven't been many boats coming the other way with women for him to get lost in conversation with, forcing me to shout at him when the lock is full!


A rather pretty dutch barge we spotted with a lovely display of flowers. I wouldn't want it myself but I do think it looks pretty on other boats. It's as much as I can do to keep a small pot of herbs on the roof, and that's only because John waters it from time to time. I tend to have a neglect it and see what happens attitude to plants.


We also spotted this rather lovely old tiller on a boat. They used to be very ornate and this is a good example. Huge heavy things to manoeuvre though I would imagine.



Finally coming into Newbury there was an inflatable canoe with two girls in, with an alsation desperately trying to jump in with them. They had to get to the side to let one of them out as she was soaked through and the dog bounded in the water again and was jumping at the boat and I just managed to catch it as it got the oar in it's mouth! They were both laughing so I guess it was OK. I'd have been terrified, but then I'd NEVER have been in a canoe. I really don't like water enough to want to be that close!

So we ended up in Newbury, as planned. I caught a bus out to the college for a Slimming World meeting and had lost 0.5lb which is going in the right direction at least and then I walked home. Nearly 2 miles. Glad to be sat down and we shall watch a couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory and have an early night after last nights shenanigans. Tomorrow we have to hunt out somewhere to eat where Chloe and Sam can park when they visit on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment