Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Sunday 2 July 2017

Sunday 2nd. July 2017

We've had a nice few days in Newbury. The first day we moored right above the town lock but it was only 24hour mooring. We got up in the morning and found that Jason had moved. There was no point in him trying to hide, we found him later on! Then we moved up next to him again. HA!

We went into town and I treated myself to a new Fitbit. My last one had died and it was the third one I'd had from Amazon. I didn't think they'd change it again so I admitted defeat. I now have a new one and am hoping to keep my steps up again. It's hard on the canal though.

We also got some new chairs for sitting outside on. The one's we've got have seen better days and to be honest don't owe us anything so now we've got some bright shiny new stripy ones. John is testing one out as I write.

Jason proved himself a real hero and came around and sorted out some of the settings on my computer. I've been trying to get my second book ready for sale since Christmas but just couldn't get it on the site for some reason. Bless him, he came around and pressed a few keys and lo and behold, it's done. Unfortunately I can't get to see the proof for a while as it's being sent to the marina but once I do, then I can get it out there. Hooray!



Here we are at our second mooring with Jason's boat behind. I understand that his dad has been reading this so I'd just like to say what a lovely son you have! We're missing him already!


On Friday we found somewhere to have lunch the next day as Chloe and Sam were coming to visit for lunch. We went in The Newbury and the chef started chatting to John about the fist he had on the menu, so we booked and John already has his fish reserved!


This is the fish. Chloe took this for me as I could hardly bear to look at it. I'm not really a fish person and when it's got eyes and tail that completely finishes me off. I had duck!

The food was excellent, rather pricey but beautifully prepared, but we had a bit of an issue with the delivery of the meal. Sam was the only one wanting starters but said it could come out with the main. His main arrived. A bit later John and Chloe's arrived. Then mine. Then Sam's starter. Then we had to ask for the sauce that was ordered with his steak, Chloe had to ask for the tomatoes ordered as her side and the seasonal veg. for John never arrived and he forgot about them, but they were on the bill. We didn't realise this until the evening so it turned out to be an even more expensive meal than we'd realised.


This is after the meal. The staff were very friendly and happily took the photo and the bag on the table has John's Father's Day presents in it. Two Camembert from their favourite cheese shop in Somerset!

Today, Sunday, we left after saying goodbye to Jason last night. We got down through the two locks in Newbury and then managed (eventually) to pull in outside Tesco's so that I could pop in and stock up on groceries. That done we headed out.


This was looking back at the lock after Tesco. It was leaking furiously and while I was in there, I actually looked back to check that John hadn't left the paddles open as there was so much water coming in. We had problems with gates swinging open on some of the locks today. It wasn't windy, they were just feeling that way I guess!

It's been a lovely day. The sun came out again and has been really hot.



Here you go, John with his top off, and a blue sky. This was one of the locks we were on our own for. We had a couple for the first lock who kept their fenders down, consequently we got stuck and he had to drag them up before I could get out! They were going into the marina in Newbury so we didn't need to pretend to have a reason for stopping to get away! 
Then for the last few locks and bridges we came down with a couple who had their daughter and granddaughters visiting. They were over from Northern Ireland and one of them told John that she'd never been so hot before!

We've managed to moor at Woolhampton above the lock again and I am about to cook our roast dinner! Lamb today. Can't wait!

4 comments:

  1. I have been having a chuckle reading your blog for the last few days!

    2 days travelling, plenty of laughs and almost sinking my boat twice (John's fault for talking too much!)

    Wine, homemade whiskey and and wine thrown over me....

    It's been a lovely few days - we should do it again!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also note that you nearly had to stop and make coffee today!!!!! Fenders in a lock!

    I however have moved to Kintbury and found another lovely couple to share the Locks with all the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but are you getting the same entertainment value out of them?

      Delete
    2. There are few that have! ..... and nobody else has helped me to try and sink my boat twice!

      Delete