Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Saturday 15 July 2017

Saturday 15th July '17

Well we are well on our way to Little Venice now, tomorrow we can moor there after 1.00. We're both very excited and have managed to book tickets for the Proms on Friday night. There's a Ghost Walk we might do on Sunday evening. I'm planning on popping down to visit my mum on Thursday and so that leaves four days to find shows, walks and other things we fancy doing with our time.


We left Teddington at the head of a queue of two. Last time we did it there was quite a convoy and we just followed the boats in front. I hadn't realised how comforting that was. Suddenly we were out there with the tide just on the turn, carrying us at a speed formerly unknown to narrowboats (so it seemed) and I had no idea where we were. John was as cool as a cucumber as normal and I was a quivering heap.


There were moments of humour though, the high tide covered the tow path in some places and we'd watched this cyclist get slowly deeper and deeper until he finally came off and pushed his bike through.


Further laughs were had as this van got around the corner ......


....causing a wave to soak customers in the pub garden! There were lots of yells and shouting going on at this point.



A pedestrian wondering what the options were.


The smile was quickly wiped off my face when I realised we'd gone past Richmond Lock, not THROUGH it, past it. Where was the weir? What had we done? Were the couple gaily following us heading for disaster in our wake? John said it was OK and we must have done it last time but not realised it. Too true I hadn't realised it. My heart and stomach were now stuck somewhere in my gullet and was starting to gibber, regretting not putting my life-jacket on and wondering if I hung onto Paddy, his would hold me up as well.

Then we were out in the country, no landmarks to be seen.... where was the turning? Had we missed it? were we heading for the ocean? Not that I panic or anything.... well not much. John explained that there was a small marina then a block of flats that went around the corner and we had to turn there. So at that point I got the camera, with the zoom lens pointed constantly at the shore, willing something to come into view. Suddenly there it was, we turned in with the tide pushing us down the river and the wind pushing us around the corner, and there we were.


Even when you've found it the actual entrance isn't that obvious, but it's hard around to the left, avoiding sandbanks!


I checked that the boat behind was still with us once I knew we were almost off the Thames and were in all likelihood going to live.


Never was I more pleased to see a lock sign. We'd been more or less decided not to do the Tidal Thames through Limehouse and this convinced me, wild water is not for me. Call me a wuss, call me what you like but I know my limits and this was it.

The couple behind us were John and Pam and we both decided to moor directly inside the lock that night as moorings were uncertain above there and we'd all had enough. The mooring was very high and we struggled a bit with ropes but eventually got sorted out.
The next morning John told us that he'd got up in the night to check our ropes as the tide had come in at about five and we were several feet higher. I'm glad I didn't know about that beforehand. Apparently all was well with the ropes, given the length we'd had to tie them, but he was a star for checking them. Apparently the lock floods at very high tides, thanks for telling us!

In the morning we filled with water, did the elsan and rubbish and came up the eleven locks as a pair of boats. It all worked really well, with my John closing gates etc after we'd got out and the other John going on to open up the next one. We got up in good time and managed to moor at Tesco at Bulls Bridge.

This was useful on two counts, first I was able to stock up well again with the heavy stuff and secondly Darren, good man that he is, was able to bring us our post, that Sarah had sent down from the marina. We are blessed with our friends. I'd also ordered a few bits and pieces to go to Darren and Michelle's house so it was like Christmas!

We turned onto the Regents arm yesterday morning and moored at Greenford. We're staying here until tomorrow morning when we head off for our week's mooring!



No comments:

Post a Comment