Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Friday 28 July 2017

Friday 28th July '17

Wednesday - Darren visited us but Michelle was caught up with work. We had a nice meal (well I cooked it so it would be wouldn't it?) and a good chat and I got my proof copy of my book! Can't wait to check it for mistakes.

Thursday we moved on. The weather was very changeable and we had some lovely sunshine but also some showers.


While I was getting the cover down I spotted a mayfly just emerged from it's old casing! I put it carefully onto some nearby shrubs and it flew off happily.


This is called Denham Deep Lock! DEEP! I think not. At 11ft 1in it might be deep around here but once you've done Bath Deep Lock very few seem that deep any more. Mind you someone put a photo of a lock in Ireland on Facebook and it was over 130ft deep. Now THAT deserves the title I'm thinking.


A bit of a political hot potato but when has that ever stopped me? We saw a couple of these signs and then we looked around to see where it would actually be going....


....this beautiful stretch of water would be presumably bridged over with high speed trains shooting over at all times of the day and night. I'm against the project, can't see that anyone's going to benefit apart from the big money guys. I know there must be some out there who want it but not many in the areas it's going through and not many in our home area that it's supposed to be helping, because it's just not in the right place. Rant over.


There's a bit of a thing going on at the marina this summer about crocs, so i couldn't resist taking this picture of a large crocodile near a lock! For those of a nervous disposition, I'm fairly sure it wasn't real!

Last night we moored a bit south of Rickmansworth and this morning we stopped there for shopping at Tesco's where you can actually moor right outside, absolutely brilliant. Then we stopped at the service point for water, elsan and rubbish disposal. Well we got the water and the elsan OK but I got the rubbish and read the sign that said there was no rubbish disposal point there and we had to go out onto the road, cross the bridge, go past Travis Perkins then cross again and the disposal point was on the left. Well it started out OK. I was finding the rubbish getting heavier as I got around to Travis Perkins and by that time I was losing the will to live. I spotted a guy there and asked where should I put the rubbish. He told me to go across the road and I'd see the disposal over there. Well I crossed said road (busy I might add) and continued up the road a bit. This was a big cross roads and there were railings so you had to go the long way around. The rubbish by this time was getting quite heavy. I couldn't believe I was going right when I spotted the municipal rubbish and recycling yard opposite. So I had to heave the bag across the dual carriageway and then get through the non-pedestrian friendly entrance until I found myself in a large recycling yard (used to be called a tip). I asked a big strong man what I should do with the rubbish (which by now was weighing me down significantly) and he pointed up a set of steps and told me to put it up there. So I hauled it up the steps and then had to get it high enough to throw in the wretched bin. Then I had to walk back, feeling much lighter but determined that I would NOT be using that particular rubbish disposal EVER AGAIN.


As we were setting off today, I spotted a duck on a paddle board that was tethered to the  mooring of the house opposite. I just thought it was funny.

We've got up to Cassiobury Park at Watford, so now we are at the last place that we can be reached by London Underground! Tomorrow we'll really be out in the country!

We have peacocks nearby and on a walk just now John spotted flamingos through a fence. I took some photos on my camera but it's still not talking to the computer so unless you're a Facebook friend you'll have to take my word for it. Maybe I'll stick it on Instagram.

I now need to use the computer to get the formatting correct on the book. I spent yesterday evening getting the typo's etc sorted and thought I'd got the page numbers done, but apparently there's still a hitch so I need to go back and try to work it out. Where's Jason when I need him?

I just had a nasty incident on the way back from the walk. A chap with a VERY large German Shepherd walking off a lead came towards me so I pulled Paddy in on a short lead and said, as I always do, "He's not good with big dogs." The guy blanked me so I repeated myself. He still didn't look at me but said. "Carn't 'ear yer anyway." He was wearing headphones so I shouted, "Well maybe you ought to bloody listen then with a big dog on the loose." Total waste of time but I loosed Paddy's lead and he snapped at the poor dog anyway, the guy had walked past and didn't even notice. GRRRR

It's meant to be wet tomorrow so not sure if we'll get very far. We're making slow progress mainly because of the number of moored boats along the whole stretch. Never mind, we're not in it for the speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment