Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Saturday 9 July 2016

9th July '16

No blog yesterday because no internet. Luckily now I have internet and after putting my brain in gear I realised that a, I can put pictures on my computer and b, I can write my blog on my computer. Simples!

Yesterday we travelled from Branston to Fradley where we moored below Junction Lock (and no Norwyn, I didn't fall in).

Photos to tell the tale so far:


We found the missing Mercia Black Swan, It was near the gravel pits so not far from the marina. Very friendly until Paddy saw it!


Speaking of which, this is the house by the Doveside Kennels where he spends his regular holidays! I thought they might like to see the house from the canal, which is probably a view they don't see that often!


Possibly my least favourite narrow lock, Tattenhall, Having the pinch straight after coming out of the lock, plus being at a slightly different angle as well as (not seen in this because of the overhanging greenery) there is an old boat moored by the house and I'm always worried about bumping it, I haven't done so as yet but for some reason it sort of gets to me.


A visitor at Wychnor lock. The red behind it is our lifebelt that sits on the hatch cover, so it was really close and just sat there letting me get the camera right to take this, (I hope Ian's reading this and is impressed, if not can you tell him to read it Birgit?)



The river at Wychnor, quite gentle today despite the awful headwind that slowed us down so that with the current we  hardly seemed to be moving at times!

Right that has got the photos up to date for day one and morning of day two. Not long after the last photo was taken we went through Alrewas Lock. Much to our amazement there were moorings along it and so we decided that although we'd originally planned to go further we'd stop there for lunch. John was on land from doing the lock and I was taking the boat in. To enable him to grab the rope he put the windlass down and we moved along to moor behind the last boat, leaving a good boats length behind us out of politeness. While we were doing this a woman came past on her boat and I thought she was coming in to moor behind us. Once tied up I went off to pick up the windlass.......GONE!
The woman on the boat was by now stuck on the opposite bank, unable to get the boat off - it was very windy. I called out, "Excuse me, have you seen our windlass?" "Yes it's on the roof of the boat." Cheek of the woman. It got better.... because she was having such a problem moving the boat and it was impossible to get over there, John ended up getting our spare windlass, opening the lock, retrieving our original and then helping her through the lock! No explanation of why she bothered to pull in, pick it up and head off, rather than just get herself sorted to go through the lock. I was FURIOUS, still can't get over the cheek of the woman.

Anyway, end of rant. We had lunch and then headed off again. The weather was improving all day and the sun ended up being hot enough to burn my forearms a bit. The wind never gave up though and it was pretty hard going so when we saw a mooring just below Junction Lock at Fradley we moored there for the night. Just along from Wendy Baughn from the marina as it happens. We had a walk around the nature reserve that I'd never really noticed, always being on the way from one lock to the next on the boat while John usually walks through. It's rather nice I thought. We also had a bit of a walk over to the cafe and had an ice cream. There was no internet as already mentioned, nor TV so I got on with crocheting some of the animals, I think I might sell them at the Christmas Market on the marina as Robert is keen for the Craft Group to have a stall. So far I've finished a rabbit I started ages ago and nearly made a panda. I've no stuffing though so am just putting them in bags for a massive stuff and sew when I get back (next craft night I suspect).

Today we awoke to a downpour. It had rained fairly steadily through the night as well I think and showed no signs of stopping, Paddy was not keen on his morning walk!

About 11 it had slowed down to an intermittent drizzle and so I took a walk to see if I could find a paper (I couldn't) and met Wendy, who had internet and had seen the latest forecast which said it would clear up after lunch.

We had an early lunch and set off. Volunteers at the first two locks (wonderful) and then got through the next two fairly easily although they were both leaking so took their time. By the time we got to Wood End the sun was showing distinct signs of appearing and so we had a very enjoyable trip up to Rugeley.


The Armitage Shanks factory, it must have been a real thing of beauty when it was built. Now it had lots of broken windows and looks a bit run down, but is still working. Yes it DOES bend around the canal. it's not a trick of the camera or an optical illusion.


Just after Armitage there's a narrows, and Paddy and I got off to run ahead to stop any boats coming as only one boat can get through at a time. This is Paddy looking in the wrong direction for his dad and the boat, which can just be seen in the distance! Bless him, he was at the back of the queue for brains but in the front for beauty!



Josiah Spode (of pottery fame) left his house to Dominican Monks who built Hawkesyard Priory in the grounds and it is now a venue for conferences and weddings. It always looks nice, apparently there's a golf course in the grounds but luckily we don't have John's clubs on the boat and in any case there's nowhere to moor!


Spotted just in time at Handsacre, young swans.....lots of them! Well done the parents for getting so many to near adult hood. We've seen quite a few fluffy little ducklings as well but I never have the camera ready in time, I must try harder.

No idea what the weather is going to do tomorrow, fingers crossed for dry, sun would be a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment