Perfect Harmony

Perfect Harmony
Moored at Huntingdon

Wednesday 8 May 2013

7th May '13


No connection tonight for the first time in absolutely ages, so I’m putting this on word and hope to add it tomorrow.

We popped into the village and bought a lovely fresh from the oven loaf of bread today before setting off at just after 9. How impressive is that?

The weather was forecast to be colder today but the sky last night was wonderful and red so I ignored the forecast and wore summer clothes and was proved right! The lovely thing about starting early is that you stop earlier and can sit out in the sun for ages!
 
When we reached the summit we went through the Bruce Tunnel - which John and I have voted our favourite tunnel. It was straight, dry, high, roomy and altogether delightful! Also our light worked the whole way - result!
 

The Church opposite our moorings last night had a very interesting detail to the tower.
 
 
So I thought I'd share - made up for the awful moorings! So did the delicious bread we got from the bakers...mmmmm

We got to the summit today and have started to go down.
 
Here we are at Crofton Locks - in the background is a Victorian Pumping Station that used to ensure that there was enough water at the top of the canal. It had been working over the weekend but we were too late for it. There were some good moorings between the locks but we thought they'd be busy so we didn't try last night - apparently there was plenty of space. Typical.
 
 I feel really excited as I know that we are going to start seeing friends and family soon.

 
When we moored I gave Paddy a bath outside – which he endured – it was much easier than inside I have to say, then I gave him a good trim. He’s a different dog now – well actually he’s still a little horror but he’s our little horror.
The moorings here are great - just before the last lock at Wootton Rivers, AND there's water, what more could we ask for? A pub you say - well as it happens there's the Royal Oak just up the road.

I have just bought half a dozen eggs from outside the lock and a boat going past said they’d bought some going the other way and they were lovely. I do love a nice fresh egg.

We have been sat outside for ages with Roy and Daphne having a very civilised drink. Should do this more often I feel. We are treating ourselves to a meal out tonight, testing the pub out for research – just as well as I’ve no idea what we were going to have for tea tonight – one of my magic constructions from whatever we have I daresay. We are nearly at Pewsey but found these good moorings so here we are. There are so few moorings that are worth calling moorings along here that we tend to grab them while we can.

Hopefully I’ll have a connection tomorrow and be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment